Here are 10 top diet tips to help you lose that unwanted post-pregnancy weight.
1. Don’t start too soon: Your body needs time to recover from labor and delivery. Give yourself until your six-week postpartum check-up before you starting with a healthy weight loss diet.
2. Be Realistic: You might not be able to return to the exact pre-pregnancy weight or shape, adjust your goals accordingly.
3. Eat a variety of foods. Even within a category of foods (like vegetables), look for different colours, types, and textures
4. Eat 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks daily day to keep your blood sugar levels stable and prevent the craving of unhealthy snacks and boost your metabolism.
5. Choose natural foods. Choose whole-grain, whole foods, brown rice and fresh fruits and vegetables and include it in all meals.
6. Include protein: Incorporate protein into every meal to lower the blood sugar response after a meal.
7. Decrease fat intake. Fat are energy dense and thus need to be limited. Limit the amount of fat you consume by choosing lean meats and low fat product. Use healthy cooking techniques like grilling instead of frying, adding as little or no butter/margarine/salad dressing/mayo as possible.
8. Increase fibre: Fibre bulks up a meal and can help you feel satisfied for longer, preventing cravings.
9. Drink 8 glasses of water per day: Thirst is often misinterpreted for hunger.
10. What you put in (eat) must be balanced by what you put out (activity level and exercise). Exercise with a combination of weight training and cardio 3-4 times per week.