Craving pizza but avoiding the wheat? Or maybe you just want to incorporate more immune-boosting mushrooms into your diet. This recipe for Mushroom Pizza with fulfill both desires.
Mushroom Pizza – Serves 4
- 4 very large brown mushrooms, (deep enough to hold the filling) wiped clean
- 150g Fior Di Latte mozzarella
Homemade Tomato Sauce:
- a generous glug of olive oil
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped (optional)
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 – 2 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Baby tomatoes
- Fried bacon
- Fried chorizo
- Torn ham
- Pineapple chunks
- Pitted olives
- Sliced jalapenos
- Fresh basil leaves (as garnish)
- Fry the garlic and chilli in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomato sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C
- Place the mushrooms cap side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spoon the tomato sauce inside the mushrooms caps and spread the sauce to cover the cap.
- Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and dot the tomato sauce with 2 thirds of the cheese.
- Top the mushrooms with your preferred topping ingredients and dot with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through and the cheese melted.
- Set the oven to grill and grill the mushrooms for a few extra minutes until the cheese bubbles to a golden brown.
- Serve immediately
Recipe courtesy of heinstirred.com
We have a whole series of mushroom recipes on the site!