Nothing embodies the melting pot of cultures in South Africa quite like food. It’s how we welcome guests, show our love for our family and friends and generally how we socialise.
NOLA Mayonnaise recently partnered with local foodie Sithembiso Ndashe (Ndash) – founder of Ndash Food Concepts – to #CreateAStir by adding a new age modern twist to popular Mzansi recipes. Vetkoek is a South African favourite and Nola mayonnaise have given their own twist to the humble vetkoek.
Vetkoek Cheeseburger with Nola Atchar
Recipe by Sithembiso Ndashe
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes or Till Golden Brown
- 500g Magwenya Flour Mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5g (1 ½ tsp) instant yeast
- Combine 1 ½ cups of lukewarm water with approximately 3 cups of Magwinya Flour
- Mix with the yeast in a bowl to make a dough
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 30 minutes
- Heat enough oil in a pot to deep fry the dough
- Form dough into small balls and drop into hot oil
- Deep fry the dough for 3 minutes on one side, then turn the dough balls in the oil and fry for another 3 minutes or until golden brown
- Place on tissue paper to drain off the oil
Note: if you don’t want to make your own vetkoek from scratch you can either buy a ready-made vetkoek or use the new pre-made Magwinya Mix available at supermarkets.
Let’s make the Burger Now:
- Pure 100% Beef patties
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 slice of Cheese
- 1 fresh slice of tomato
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Cooked onion
- Nola Original Mayonnaise
- Mango Atchar
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Cut the Vetkoek open
- Base it inside with that delicious Nola Original Mayonnaise
- Add fresh lettuce
- Heat pan with oil and place Burger patties in pan. Cook patties until your desired preference.
- Approximately 30 seconds before removing the burger patty from the heat – add the slice of cheese on top of the burger
- Place burger patty onto lettuce and layer with tomato and salt & pepper to taste
- Add the Nola Original Mayonnaise and Atchar mix on top of the burger (use approximately 1 cup Nola Original Mayonnaise to ¼ cup Mango Atchar)
- Finish it off with the cooked onion
- Close the burger with the remaining Vetkoek half
For more recipes head to our recipe section.