Festive season comes with it’s own traditional treats: fruit mince pies, kugel, trifle, and fruit cake. But sometimes you just want some good ol’ chocolate cake.
Need to whip up some sweet stuff? Craving a chocolate cake? Guests coming around for tea? But you don’t have any eggs or oil in the pantry! You can easily substitute with NOLA Mayonnaise. The creamy, balanced versatility of NOLA means it can be added to almost any dish without overpowering the existing ingredients
Decadent Chocolate cake
Ingredients (Serves 8)
For the cake:
- 630ml (335g) cake flour
- 110ml (40g) cocoa powder
- 380ml (320g) castor sugar
- 5ml salt 8ml bicarbonate of soda
- 300ml Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 400ml water
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 250ml cream
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
Chocolate shavings, cherries and berries for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 23 cm round baking tin with wax paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, castor sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Give it a good mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the Nola Original Mayonnaise, water and vanilla essence.
- Add the liquid to the sifted ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin. Bake for 45 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cover in tinfoil and leave to cool in the tin (overnight in the fridge is best).
- To prepare the ganache, bring the cream to the boil and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth and leave to cool.
- Pour the ganache over the cake. It’s easiest to do this by placing the cake on a wire rack, so the excess can drip off.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate shavings and enjoy.
For more recipes head to our recipe section.