Storing food correctly is key and GLAD is here to help you ensure your food is fresh for longer especially with World Food Day around the corner (16 October), this is a good opportunity to look at wasting less.
Tips on how to store your food:
Vegetables / Fruit:
- Potatoes: whole unpeeled potatoes are best kept stored in a cool, dark and dry place. Once peeled and cut, place them into a large bowl, fully submerged in water, cover the bowl loosely with GLAD Wrap and put into fridge – use within 1 day.
- Onions: keep whole onions in a cool, dark and dry place (tip: onions and potatoes should be kept separate from each other as gases emmited from onions lead to sprouting in potatoes). Once peeled, halved or chopped, place into a GLAD Zip Seal Resealable Bag (sized to fit), with as much air squeezed out as possible – use within 2-3 days.
- Lettuce: store whole heads of lettuce loosely wrapped in GLAD Wrap – use within 4-7 days. Once cut, keep lettuce in a GLAD Zip Seal Resealable bag (sized to fit), add a lightly dampened paper towel in with the lettuce to keep it crisp – use within 3-5 days or you can keep the lettuce in a Multi–Fresh Food storage bag – use within 30 days. Multi-Fresh bags contain a unique and natural addictive, which greatly enhances and extends the life and freshness of fruits and vegetables.
- Spinach: place unwashed spinach in GLAD Zip Seal Resealable Bag (sized to fit). Squeeze out as much air as possible when sealing the bag and place in refrigerator. Wash and use as needed – use within 4-5 days.
- Mushrooms: mushrooms are best stored unwashed and removed from original packaging, store in Multi-Fresh Food storage bag (close the top and leave room for air circulation) in the refrigerator – use within 30 days.
- Carrots: place whole, unpeeled carrots in a GLAD Multi-Fresh Food storage bag, squeeze excess air out of the bag – use within 30 days. Chopped, sliced or baby carrots are best kept in GLAD Press’n Seal (sized to fit) – use within 1 week.
- Cucumbers: wrap whole cucumbers in paper towels, place into a GLAD Zip Seal Resealable bag and put it into the refrigerator, in a section where it may be slightly warmer (furtherest away from the freezer). Cut what you need for use, then tightly seal the exposed cucumber end with GLAD Wrap and return to the paper towel in the sealed Zip Seal bag – use within 1 week.
- Chilli Peppers: place chilli’s in a bowl, and cover with GLAD Press n’ Seal. Using a fork or the tip of a sharp knife, poke several holes in the wrap to allow for air circulation. Placing them in an airtight container may result in them spoiling faster.
- Bananas: bananas are best kept at room temperature. Wrap the crown of the bananas with GLAD Wrap to keep it fresher for longer – should last 3-5 days longer.
- Avocados: allow avocados to ripen at room temperature. Once ripe, whole avocados should be refrigerated. To store an avocado that’s been cut in half, cut down the middle lengthwise, and keep pit in the avocado half that’s going to be refrigerated. To prevent browning, rub exposed avocado with lemon or olive oil. Wrap tightly in GLAD Wrap, GLAD Press’n Seal or GLAD Zip Seal Resealable bag (removing as much air as possible) – should last 2-4 days longer.
- Tomatoes: whole tomatoes should be kept at room temperature until ripe. Once ripe, place tomatoes in unsealed GLAD Multi-Fresh Food storage bag in the refrigerator. If the tomatoes are cut, seal in GLAD Press’n Seal – use within 2-3 days.
- Strawberries: It’s best not to wash berries before storing. Place in a single layer in a shallow bowl or plate that has been lined with paper towels. Cover with GLAD Wrap or GLAD Press’n Seal – use within 3 days.
GLAD – Making Life a Little Easier.
Please visit www.glad.co.za for more information.