Welcome to Mothering in Heels with Lindi! There are huge numbers of working moms out there, trying to find some kind of balance and joy in the small spaces between working and being a mom. I’m Lindi, and I am one of those moms. I work full time in a big corporate, travel for work, study, blog, and I am a mom to two small boys (2 years and 9 years). It can be tough! But it can be done. Every month, I will share with you a few snippets on how I manage to keep all the balls in the air.
Motherhood is a job, but it is also a very complex world to navigate every day. If you bring in the added responsibility of taking care of a home, being a working woman, studying, running a business, managing finances, being in a relationship and all the day to day realities we have to live with, it can become difficult for mommies to look after themselves. That’s why today I would like to share with you what I do to take care of myself emotionally while mothering in heels.
- Taking care of my spirituality. I read my bible every morning, even if it is just one scripture. This is important because my faith is important to me, so I have found a way to reconnect with my faith in little ways every day – that way I feel ready for anything. It doesn’t have to be a bible, it can be anything that connects you to your spirituality and brings you a sense of calm, peace and strength.
- Listening to music. I have a lot of my music on my phone, because sometimes I have 5 minutes to myself and I just want to play a song that I like, instead of listening to animated kiddies music. I have learned to find a lot of joy in doing that.
- Eliminate unnecessary activities. I am not a fan of TV and, over time, I have realised that it is an unnecessary distraction for me, so I have eliminated it completely from my life. (There are still TVs in the house, otherwise the husband and kids would have mobbed me.) What activity that is time wasting and sucking up your spirit time could you eliminate?
- Do one easy beauty treatment for yourself at home. Once a week, on a Saturday or Sunday evening, I paint my toes or shave or treat my natural hair. This is my “me time”. It doesn’t take longer than 30 minutes, but it makes me feel like I have had a break from my busy life. It also doesn’t cost a lot of money and I don’t actually have to drive anywhere.
- Do something childlike. Once a week I play a crazy game with my kids or run in the garden (I hate running). For an hour we play and do whatever they want to. It is amazing what this does for my joy levels, and also for my kids’ connection with me as their mother.
- Chatting to my husband. My kids wake up very early every day. So, first thing in the morning on a Saturday, we give them breakfast and put them in front of the tv, and then lie in bed and catch up about the week. Yes, I am that mom and I feel no shame in it. It is a great time for us to have an uninterrupted conversation and reconnect.
So what do you do to connect with and lift your spirit? I would love to know and maybe I can incorporate it into my life?
If you haven’t found something, try something small, and just give yourself the possibility of refreshment again. Mothering in Heels can be really hard, but it can be done with a little bit of planning and gentleness with yourself.
Happy mothering and remember to always pat yourself on the back for the hard work you are doing!
If there is something about being a working mom you are struggling with or you want to know how Lindi has managed to achieve it, please drop us a mail on firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Mothering in Heels with Lindi”.