Winter is almost upon us and it’s the perfect time for stew.
This mushroom stew will actually improve if kept refrigerated for a day or two, so it’s great for meal prep. Would you believe that the cost per serving is only R11.35? So we have an affordable, vegetarian meal that can be prepared in advance. What more could you ask for?
Mushroom Stew with Turmeric Maize Meal
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut into slices
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 500 gm button mushrooms, wipe clean
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cup) vegetable stock
- 75 ml (5 tablespoons) white wine
- 2,5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) white wine vinegar
- 4 tomatoes, briefly blanched in boiling water, peeled and chopped
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fresh parsley, finely chopped
Soft turmeric maize meal:
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) turmeric
- salt to taste
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) maize meal
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and brown gently over low heat. Add the garlic, chilli and the mushrooms, stir and fry gently until the mushrooms soften and the juices begin to run. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add the vegetable stock, wine and black pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the vinegar and correct the seasoning with salt if needed. Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the mushroom stew. Add the tomatoes and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley. Serve with the soft maize meal.
- Make the soft maize meal. Bring the water to the boil and add the turmeric and salt. Slowly stir in the maize meal. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the cream, if using, and then cover the saucepan and set aside for 1 hour to thicken.
The flavour of the mushroom stew will improve if kept refrigerated for a day or two. Add the chopped tomatoes just before serving and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley. Excellent served with soft turmeric maize meal.
Recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Association
We have a whole series of mushroom recipes on the site!