Looking for a healthy alternative to burgers?
We’re excited to share this rissoles recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association.
Mushroom, Sweet Potato and Brown Rice Rissoles
Serves 4 – 6
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 150g cooked brown rice
- 120g fresh breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and milled black pepper
- gluten-free flour or polenta, for shaping
- olive oil, for brushing
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Increase the heat and fry the mushrooms for 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for another minute. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Place the sweet potato, rice, breadcrumbs, coriander and egg into a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the mushroom mixture and mix together.
- Using lightly floured hands, shape spoonfuls of the mixture into rissoles or patty shapes. Coat both sides of the rissoles in gluten-free flour or polenta. Lightly brush both sides of the rissoles with olive oil and lightly fry, or cook under a grill for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden. Pat dry on paper towel.
- Serve in lettuce cups, with grated carrot, sliced red onion and some guacamole.
We have a whole series of mushroom recipes on the site!