South Africans struggling to conceive can now consult an online ovulation calendar and conduct a simple cervical fluid examination to help determine a women’s fertility status at any given time of the month.
The manufacturers of Conceive Plus, a new sperm friendly lubricant proven to help the process of fertilization, have made an ovulation calendar available in two options:
- Fertility details for a 28 day, regular menstrual cycle calendar (see here http://www.conceiveplus.co.za/documents/Ovulation%20Wheel.pdf ).
- For women with irregular menstrual cycles (see here http://www.conceiveplus.com/ovulation-calculator/).
In addition to consulting the calendar, women can examine their cervical fluid to determine their fertility status, says Dr Simon Mangcwatya, head of medical affairs at Litha Pharma.
Cervical fluid, produced in the cervix, changes throughout the menstrual cycle and plays an important role in reproduction, impacting on libido and providing lubrication (see http://www.conceiveplus.com/blog/cervical-fluid-types-and-role-in-reproduction-and-fertility/) . There are five different types of cervical fluids:
- Dry, represents a non-fertile time
- Sticky: not fertile
- Creamy: possibly fertile
- Watery: fertile
- “Egg white”: most fertile
The ovulation calendar follows the launch in SA of a new sperm friendly lubricant, Conceive Plus, which has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration as a lubricant for couples trying to conceive naturally. It is the only lubricant to contain both calcium and magnesium ions essential for cell viability and fertilization¹.
Conceive Plus is distributed by Litha Pharma and available at local pharmacies and online at www.getpregnant.co.za. Click here: http://www.getpregnant.co.za/products/product-category/conceive-plus-fertility-lubricant-3-single-applicators/
- For images of Conceive Plus, go here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3GARPvG2ok1TnRZbUxjNFJ4NGs&usp=sharing
- For media info, Hudah Levendall or Craig Doonan on 021 785-3683.
Visit: http://www.conceiveplus.co.za/ or find us on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/conceiveplusSA.
¹ Kurtz J, Willmer E, Nikolic B, Gupta V. Development of a Novel, Physiologically Important Ca2+ and Mg2+ ion
Containing Non-Spermicidal Vaginal Lubricant. Fertility and Sterility, Volume 92, Issue 3, Supplement 1,
September 2009, pages S212-S213.
LP 807 08/2014