It’s sizzling-hot summertime in sunny South Africa, land of eternal family braais and get-togethers! And why not, when our pools beckon us, and the aroma of braai smoke fills our rosy-pink sunset skies. Celebrate with family and friends around the braai and enjoy this Mediterranean bean and pepper salad, a scintillating, fresh salad, packed with wholesome flavour!
Beans are a great accompaniment to any salad, as they are full of fibre and nutrients. KOO’s wide range of canned beans and legumes require no soaking and are ready-to-eat, which means you can easily prepare meals from salads, lunches, dinner and everything in-between in no time at all, allowing you more time to spend enjoying the hot outdoors.
Dish up more love with KOO’s range of canned beans and legumes and savour the summertime in style, with this recipe that packs in the taste and convenience.
Mediterranean bean and pepper salad
- 2 cans KOO butter beans in brine (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can KOO chickpeas in brine(rinsed and drained)
- 5ml olive oil
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Handful chopped parsley
- Handful chopped fresh basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Toss the butter beans and chickpeas together in a large bowl
2. Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large pan, add pepper and fry for about 3-4 minutes, until soft
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool
4. Mix remaining ingredients with the beans and chick peas, and add cooled pepper (including any pan juice)
5. Cover with cling film and refrigerate
6. To serve, toss ingredients to distribute flavours, adjust seasoning if necessary and serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Koo.