Nothing embodies the melting pot of cultures in South Africa quite like food. It’s how we welcome guests, show our love for our family and friends and generally how we socialise.
The upcoming Summer holidays, for most people, includes an abundance of family gatherings, festive cheer, casual drop-ins and quite a bit of catering. Why not dazzle your family and friends with a fresh summer salad?
Crispy Summer Coleslaw
Ingredients (Serves 4 as a side)
- 1 baby green cabbage, shredded
- 1 baby red cabbage, shredded
- 4 large spinach leaves, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup (125ml) Nola Original Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (5ml) fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 4 slices crispy bacon, chopped (optional)
- Mix the cabbage, carrot, apple and spinach together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the Nola Original Mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice and fennel seeds together.
- Toss the dressing through the slaw and sprinkle over the bacon (if using).
If you do eat pork, why not skip the bacon in the salad and serve this slaw with pork chops?
Fresh Veggie Salad
Recipe by Sithembiso Ndashe
- ¼ Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup NOLA Original Mayonnaise
- Sliced bottled Jalapeno
- 4 Celery stalks – sliced
- ½ Red onion – diced
- Can whole kernel corn
- Cocktail tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Place all vegetable ingredients in a bowl
- Add the sour cream and mix all ingredients together
- Finish off by mixing in the NOLA mayonnaise, season with salt & pepper and serve
The Jalapeno gives this salad a cheeky kick! The crunchy fresh salsa ingredients and sour cream puts us in the mood for Mexican. Why not turn your pool party into a full on fiesta? This salad pairs so well with spicy chicken wings.
For more recipes and inspiration, head to our recipe section.