Did someone say Meatza?
We’re excited to share this mushroom meatza recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Takes a bit of effort
- 500g fresh mushrooms, finely chopped (or minced in a food processor)
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pizza toppings of your choice – we like mozzarella and peppers
- Heat the oven to 220°C. Fry the mushrooms in the coconut oil, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. You may have to do this in batches.
- Using your hands, thoroughly combine the mushrooms with the beef, onion, garlic, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or use a large round pizza stone.
- Flatten the meat and mushroom mixture onto the paper, about 1cm thick. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the toppings of your choice and return to the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden. Cut into slices and serve with a salad.
We have a whole series of mushroom recipes on the site!