Weigh-Less’ Founder and Chairman, Mary Holroyd, is a mother and a grandmother who has gracefully managed to balance family life, and simultaneously grow the business that she started with a bathroom scale and a R10 note to 40 years of slimming success.
In celebration of Mother’s Day on the 10th of this month and because even super-hereos need help sometimes, Holroyd shares her top tips to help you become the unflappable, healthy, working mom.
- Make the mornings easier: When my children were younger, I would pack their lunches, lay out their clothes (plus my own), and have them shower all before bed. I now watch with pride how my children follow the same routine with their own kids, ensuring that every precious second is spared. This allows for more time to discuss any changes to the family schedule. Knowing that a lot of the mundane tasks are completed will allow you to spend those extra few minutes eating breakfast with the kids.
- Make your home office a command centre. The experts always say that to get any work done at home, you have to be cordoned off in a room far away from anyone who can nag you. This makes me wonder how many experts have children, and grandchildren. I used to opt for a location in the centre of my house which provided some privacy, while reminding everyone that I was a presence to be reckoned with.
- Let go of the guilt. Rather than dwell on how you’re not with your child, think about how your role in the company is benefitting the family. I would always think to myself that my career allows me to afford certain classes and educational opportunities for my children that they wouldn’t otherwise get. This goes for my grandchildren as well, as I am still able to spoil them because of the career that has afforded me so much.
- Make time to take care of yourself. Because let’s face it, what would your family do without you? Ensure that you make time to eat healthily and exercise. And I emphasise the word ‘make’ here. Prepare your meals and pack your lunch for work the next day when your children go to bed, wake up an hour before they do to fit in a few minutes of exercise, and mark off a few hours a week to attend your Weigh-Less Group. It may not be easy, but it will certainly be worth it knowing that you are investing in your health, and therefore securing your family’s future.
Mom on a mission!
Short on time? Try these healthy, time-saving tips:
- Start your day the healthy way: Breakfast is the most important meal. It provides you with the energy and nutrients needed to get through the day. Breakfast does not need to be an elaborate meal; a bowl of cereal and milk, muesli and yoghurt or a Gluco-Less and yoghurt smoothie are all excellent breakfast options. If you have a bit of extra time you can make a scrambled egg in the microwave in less than three minutes!
- Smart snacking: Sensible snacking in-between meals prevents your blood sugar levels from dipping. Snacks don’t have to be time consuming to prepare. Dried fruit, cracker breads, boiled eggs, raw vegetables, cheese, popcorn and yoghurt are all snacks that are not only easy to prepare and healthy, but are cost effective and delicious too.
- Double up and freeze: When cooking a meal that is suitable for freezing, double up the recipe and freeze half in zip-lock or tinfoil containers. This ensures you will be serving you and your family a healthy dinner on the nights that you don’t have time to prepare dinner. Freezer-friendly meals include spaghetti bolognaise, beef stew, chicken casserole, soup and lasagne.
- Don’t forget your water: Drinking water keeps you hydrated. Your body can mistake dehydration for hunger, so before you eat have a glass of water. If you don’t like the taste of water, try flavouring it with fresh mint leaves, lemon or fruits like strawberries and oranges.
Take advantage of South Africa’s leading health and weight management organisation’s special May Promotion for all mothers. Take out a one year subscription with Weigh-Less magazine, make one payment of R150, and get TWO subscriptions valid for one year, to share with your mother, daughter or friend. This offer is valid for the entire month of May, as we celebrate Mother’s Day and reward the special women who have sacrificed so much for us. For more information contact the call centre on 0861 100 551 or visit www.weighless.co.za.
Celebrate Mother’s Day the healthy way with these delicious, Weigh-Less inspired recipes:
Freezer friendly beef stew with Sweet potato mash
1 Serve = 2 CC + 1 Veg + 1 Protein + 1 Fat
Serves 6 – Best Choice recipe
1 tbsp Weigh-Less Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1½ tsp crushed garlic
500g beef chuck, no bones
1 tsp cinnamon
1 beef stock cube
2 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the sliced onions until soft and translucent. Add the grated carrot and chopped celery and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the cubed beef and brown before adding the garlic and cinnamon. Pour over the water, stock cube and tomato paste. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for an hour, stirring regularly and topping up with a bit of water if necessary. Stir in the chopped parsley and simmer for a further 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
Prep 20 min
Cook 1 hour 45 min
1 Serve = 2 CC + 1 Fat
Makes 12 – Good Choice recipe
500ml (2 cups) cake flour
250ml Weigh-Less Spoon for Spoon Sugar Replacement
3 tbsp baking powder
375ml (1½ cup) skim milk
100ml (⅓ cup) low-fat margarine
Fresh fruit to serve
Beat the egg yolks and milk. Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside. Beat the egg whites and add to the milk mixture. Add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture. Leave the mixture to stand for an hour. Make 12 waffles in waffle maker. Serve with fresh fruit or low-fat ice-cream from daily serves.
Prep 10 min
Cook 15 min