Being the face of “Saving Good Food from Going Bad”, GLAD is highlighting the importance of World Food Day on the 16th of October 2018. They are also giving away a GLAD hamper to one lucky reader!
World Food Day focuses on multiple actions we can take as a whole to reach an international goal of #ZeroHunger by 2030. Living a sustainable lifestyle, eating healthier food and wasting less all contribute to a world where nobody goes hungry.
In South Africa, approximately one third of the food produced annually (approximately 31 million tonnes) goes to waste. The energy South Africa wastes annually producing food that is not eaten… The WWF estimates as enough to power the City of Johannesburg for roughly 16 weeks. The economic and environmental cost of food waste is a hot topic globally.
So, what can you do to support World Food Day?
Store and protect your food to increase its lifespan. Spoilage, at home, mostly occurs due to improper storage and lack of visibility in the fridge and cupboards.
- Cover bowls of food with GLAD Cling Wrap. This will prevent the food from drying out and your needing to throw them away.
- Wrap leftover cooked meat in GLAD Cling Wrap, refrigerate, and use for sandwiches for lunch the next day.
- Puree extra vegetables and pour into GLAD Ice Cube Bags – use the puree to add flavour to your meals.
- Open veggies can be put into GLAD Multi-Fresh Food Bags to keep them fresher for longer.
- For meal planning, label the GLAD Zip Seal Bags with the date. This will ensure you use it before it expires! Or pop them in the freezer and defrost when necessary.
- Remember, eat what spoils first and get creative with leftovers.
For GLAD, every bite counts, and we’d like to invite you to join us in being more aware this World Food Day (and beyond). Spread the word on ‘saving good food, from going bad’.
1. SHARE this article to your social media with the easy share buttons and 2. COMPLETE the form below (these first two steps are mandatory to entry) 3. Comment with Which GLAD product do you use most and #gladWFD2018 below or on Facebook 4. Comment with Which GLAD product do you use most and #gladWFD2018 on the Instagram post for a third entry! DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE FORM BELOW! WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CONTACT YOU TO SEND YOU YOUR PRIZE!!
Good luck everybody!!
Make sure you are following us on Facebook so you don’t miss the winner’s announcement!