You’ll be happy and probably not surprised to hear that research finds that people who eat home-cooked meals on a regular basis tend to be happier and healthier and consume less sugar and processed foods!
As we are all hunkering down in our own version of Home Sweet Home, we can rediscover and reconnect with the pleasure of home cooking. Plus, the humble mushroom is known to boost your immune system – bonus!
Mushroom, Biltong & Potato Chowder
Serves 6 – 8
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
30ml cake flour
500g button mushrooms, sliced
80ml white wine
1.25L chicken stock
1 potato, cut into cubes
3 sprigs thyme
150g ground, fine biltong
salt and milled black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, butter and flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat and add the white wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock, potatoes and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the milk, cream and biltong and season to taste. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Association
We have a whole series of mushroom recipes on the site!