There’s nothing quite like ‘tea time’, the old-fashioned way, with delicate teacups, quality tea and of course … scones! The 30th of May is National Scone Day! Aside from the melt-in-the-mouth buttery delight we get when biting into a freshly-made scone, we were wondering when people first experienced that scone-sensation. The Oxford Dictionary says the term ‘scones’ was first used in 1513, and are believed to hail from bonnie Scotland!
In South Africa, the scone has been part of our teatime heritage since we can remember. For over five centuries people have been united over a cuppa and a scone! There was nothing quite like sitting on Grandma’s stoep, eagerly awaiting that melt-in-the-mouth scone and home-made jam sensation! However, even if your own scone recipe is a never-fail five-star recipe, something must be said for the toppings you select … without which, the humble scone can leave you with that ‘much ado about nothing’ feeling!
Elevating the scone is left to a generous dollop of cream, and your flavoursome, great for entertaining ALL GOLD Connoisseurs Jam! Using real fruit, ripened to perfection and preserved for your pleasure, this jam range will turn you into a scone snob in an instant!
Flavours in the Connoisseurs range of jam include Royal Apricot Extra Fruit, Strawberry Extra Fruit, Seville Orange Marmalade, Melon Preserve, Green Fig Preserve. Additional flavours new to the shelves are Blueberry, Raspberry and Mixed Berries (Raspberry, strawberry and blueberries).
For those who prefer to walk on the ‘lighter side’, new ALL GOLD Connoisseurs Lite jam has just been launched. Flavours are Strawberry Lite and Apricot Lite.
The Connoisseurs Strawberry Jam and scones recipe is set to titillate the taste buds and get your tea guests’ tongues wagging! So spread that treasured table cloth, use the heirloom tea set you’ve been saving for a special occasion and celebrate National Scone Day with ALL GOLD Jam in style!
Celebrate National Scone Day with gorgeous scones and All Gold Strawberry Jam (Serves 4)
Preparation time: 45 min
What you need
- 220 g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1 egg, beaten and mixed with 280 ml milk
- Fresh double cream
- 1 egg beaten and mixed with 1 tbsp water or milk (this is for the glaze)
- ALL GOLD Connoisseur Strawberry Jam
What you do
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and add the sugar and butter.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the egg and milk mixture to make the dough.
- Gently knead the dough on a lightly-floured work surface until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 2 cm thick.
- Cut out circles 5cm in diameter, with a plain or fluted cutter.
- Arrange scones on baking sheets and brush tops with the glaze mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 230 °C for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the fresh double cream until stiff.
Split the scones and spread with butter, ALL GOLD Connoisseurs Strawberry Jam and a generous dollop of whipped cream.