“Protecting your child’s online identity should be a top concern,” says Riaan Badenhorst, Managing Director, Kaspersky Lab Africa. Kaspersky wants to help you keep your children safe online.
As parents, you can use these ‘rules/tips’ from Kaspersky for keeping your children safe and out of harm in the online world (just as we would have rules for the ‘real word’).
- Talk to children about the potential dangers that they may face online and the need for Internet safety – be real with them and use language that is appropriate – even before they get their first mobile phone or tablet PC to play games.
- Encourage children to talk to you about anything they may have experienced online that upsets them, or that makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Restrict the content that can be accessed via the computer using Parental control tool.
- Just as you would teach children to not talk to a stranger in real life, teach them to not talk to strangers online. If they do not know the person, they should not interact with them online. Tell them that strangers can use the online world to connect with them and lure them into harmful situations.
- Make a rule with children to not share personal information online – for example, do not give out their phone number(s), school information, or home address to anyone over the Internet.
- Encourage children to be careful about what they post online – be it photos, videos, writing on someone’s wall or checking into a location. Remember that what goes out online stays there forever and while it is fun to share photos and videos with friends and family – tell them to make sure that photos and videos do not give away any clues about their location at the time or where they may live.
In addition consider a rigorous Internet security solution like that of Kaspersky Internet Security – multi-device 2016, which combines top class anti-virus capabilities and award-winning Parental Control features – running on your PC or Mac – making it easy for you to manage your kids’ app downloads, prevent access to inappropriate web content & games, manage messaging on social networks and prevent disclosure of personal information.
- Like Tums 2 Tots Online Magazine on Facebook and share the competition
- Complete the entry form below
Click here to view our competition terms and conditions
*All entrants must reside in South Africa